Consolidation Transition Plan
Our principal goal is to ensure the effective transition of all students, families, and school staff in both consolidating and receiving schools throughout the remainder of this school year, into SY13-14, and beyond.
There are four strands of work that we will undertake to support the fulfillment of the principal goal:
- We seek to minimize the loss of students through the transition – we want families to stay in DCPS. We are mounting an aggressive recruitment strategy at each receiving school in coordination with the closing school leaders to retain and attract students and families. We will also strengthen our existing mechanisms to track enrollment and ensure we know where students ultimately enroll at the start of the school year.
- We will ensure students and families have comprehensive information about the receiving school and feel welcomed in their new school. We will work cooperatively through our principals and parent leaders to prepare and share school information on a regular basis.
- We will create smooth transitions for impacted teachers, non-instructional staff and principals. Our Central Office Staffing Team will continue to work cooperatively with the school-based representatives according to the guidelines outlined in our respective union and employment contracts.
- We will minimize interruption in the school’s daily operations at closing schools. Instruction doesn’t stop and though elements of the transition process will begin prior to the end of the school year, we want the students, teachers, and school leaders to be able to focus on academics.
The community resoundingly expressed three principle themes:
- All of our schools should offer students the same opportunity for robust programming;
- Our children are safe in school and as they travel to and from school;
- All of the resources effectively. With respect to the staffing and
The following documents detail the various elements of the plan of approach to achieve our goals:
- Chancellor Henderson's letter to the DC Council
- A summary document that outlines the broad categories of work and the critical work paths
- A multi-phased marketing and outreach plan to support the retention, recruitment and enrollment of students at the consolidating schools
- An FAQ document for school-based staff that outlines the process and supports available during transition.
We are inspired by the vision for DCPS that was articulated from communities members and the Council. And, we are excited at the opportunity to harness that energy as we move forward together to build long-term stability and equity our schools.