Thomson Parents, We Want to Hear from Every One of You
Middle school is critical to preparing students for college. Ensuring that families have quality middle school options is one of our top priorities. Over the past few months, we have engaged parents and the school community to identify how to best support and strengthen our middle schools in Ward 6, including Jefferson. We took all of the information we heard and developed a draft plan to improve middle school options in Ward 6.
Thomson Elementary School’s destination middle school is Jefferson, so all Thomson students are guaranteed a spot at Jefferson beginning in 6th grade. Below are a few highlights from our proposal that impact Jefferson Middle School.
We will rebuild the academic program at Jefferson to challenge all students
- Offer advanced courses in math for students who are ready, with an emphasis on Algebra and Geometry for high school credit
- Offer world language for high school credit, including a Chinese course as a continuation curriculum from Thomson and Brent
We will launch a 6th Grade Academy in school year 2011-2012 with 100 students
- Use school year 2010-2011 as a planning year to set clear expectations for incoming students and to recruit a founding Academy leader
- Establish new culture and environment that is focused on excellence
We will establish the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program (IB-MYP) in school year 2011-2012
- The IB-MYP emphasizes development of the whole student while specifically emphasizing communication skills and international-mindedness
- With Thomson already offering the IB Primary Years Program, and Eastern about to launch an IB Diploma Program, this would complete the continuum of IB programming from elementary through high school
Jefferson, Stuart-Hobson, and Eliot-Hine Middle Schools will feed to the brand new Eastern High School in school year 2011-2012
View the full proposal on Building on Momentum: Ward 6 Middle Schools.
Download a copy of the survey form. Please return the completed questionnaire to your child’s school by Tuesday, June 22nd.
Download a copy of the survey form in Chinese.
Download a copy of the survey form in Español.
Would you like to know more?
For more information, contact Claudia Luján at (202) 719-6598