Jefferson Parents, We Want to Hear from Every One of You
Middle school is critical to preparing students for college. Ensuring that families have quality middle school options is one of our top priorities. Over the past few months, we have engaged parents and the school community to identify how to best support and strengthen our middle schools in Ward 6, including Jefferson. We took all of the information we heard and developed a draft plan to improve middle school options in Ward 6.
Below are a few highlights from our proposal that impact Jefferson:
We will rebuild the academic program at Jefferson to challenge all students
- Offer advanced courses in math for students who are ready, with an emphasis on Algebra and Geometry for high school credit
- Offer world language for high school credit, ultimately allowing students to enroll in higher level Spanish in Grade 9
We will establish the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program (IB-MYP) in school year 2011-2012
- The IB-MYP emphasizes development of the whole student while specifically emphasizing communication skills and international-mindedness
- Capitalize on the continuum of IB programming from Jefferson Middle School to Eastern High School, which will implement the IB High School Program
We will launch a 6th Grade Academy in school year 2011-2012 with 100 students
- Use school year 2010-2011 as a planning year to set clear expectations for incoming students and to recruit a founding Academy leader
- Build culture and environment that is focused on excellence
Jefferson, Stuart-Hobson, and Eliot-Hine Middle Schools will feed to the brand new Eastern High School in school year 2011-2012
View the full proposal on Building on Momentum: Ward 6 Middle Schools.
Download a copy of the survey form. Please return the completed questionnaire to your child’s school by Tuesday, June 22nd.
Would you like to know more?
For more information, contact Claudia Luján at (202) 719-6598