Engage DCPS: Budget Matters
The DC Public Schools annual budget cycle is a time to reflect on the past year’s accomplishments, re-assess system needs and budget priorities, and reinvest in our schools and students. While our revenue stream shifts from year to year and we must invest a significant portion of our budget on required supports such as food services and school security, we also make a concerted effort to allocate resources to strategic programs and initiatives that make our schools even better for families and students.
This year the budget season is kicking off with a public hearing and public engagement campaign starting on "Engage DCPS: Budget Matters!" starting November 26, 2013. In an effort to increase transparency and offer opportunity for public input on DCPS’s Fiscal Year 2015 (FY15) budget decisions, Engage DCPS is seeking your feedback to understand what matters to YOU!
We are particularly interested in your thoughts on the following 3 priorities:
- Continuing to improve the 40 lowest performing schools.
- Improving middle schools for families and students.
- Making sure DCPS students love their schools.
There are multiple ways to engage and provide feedback
- Online Discussion Platform: Visit us at EngageDCPS.org to continue providing us with your feedback on the budget priorities. Engage DCPS is a digital community space that allows students, parents, and community members to interact with DCPS staff and share ideas for current and future projects.
- Budget Workshops: Learn more about the nuts and bolts of the budget development process through in person meetings, web based seminars and video presentations.
- Become a part of a school's Local School Advisory Team (LSAT): LSATS are the groups for parent and community leaders to share feedback on the budget with the school principal.
Download Budget Hearing Transcript