Mayor Vincent C. Gray

Search   Services

Building Permits

Whether you're putting up a fence, building a house, or modifying a structure, you're responsible for getting the right permits before you begin.

Learn more about Building Permits

Permits for Sidewalks, Signs and Curbs

Streets and sidewalksPublic Space PermitsThere are a variety of permits needed to make changes to the "public space." Public Space is defined as all the publicly owned property between the property lines on a street and includes, but is not limited to, the roadway, tree spaces, sidewalks and alleys.


Pet Owner Permits

If you plan to own exotic pets, own more than five mammals larger than a guinea pig, or tend to a pigeon coop, you will need to apply and pay for a permit from the District.


Arts and Entertainment

Film PermitFilm permits are issued by the Office of Motion Picture and Television Development. Please read the Film Permit Application Instructions prior to completing a Film Permit Application.


Parks and Recreation Permits

The Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) Permit Office manages and issues permits for all DPR recreation centers, facilities, parks and community gardens. DPR also managers permits for properties operated by the National Park Service including Rock Creek Park, Fort Dupont Park and the volleyball courts located on the National Mall.

Learn more about Park Permits and Reservations.


Safety & Special Event Permits

Each year, millions of residents and visitors traverse through the District. Certain permits are required to ensure the hundreds of special events and activities held throughout the city each year are safe. Find applications below to the most common permits:



Driving and Parking Permits

You can apply for many driving, parking and car permits online: