The Metropolitan Washington Council of Government’s CIO Committee’s Subcommittee for GIS has received a grant from the United States Department of Homeland Security for establishing a National Capital Region Data Exchange (NCRDX). Regional Chief Information Officers and Geographic Information System Managers have identified a need to produce, maintain and share a set of common operating data across the Maryland-Virginia-DC region.
The purpose of this project is to build a system and procedures that facilitate the secure, flexible and standardized sharing of critical mapped information by all National Capital Region (NCR) partner jurisdictions and agencies. The primary goals of our project are to:
- Provide access to viewer-independent geospatial information for the NCR;
- Inventory available data and data gaps;
- Create a user interface, indexing service and work processes for sharing so states, local jurisdictions, and other NCR partners will be able to submit their geospatial data;
- Promote the use of live, web services as a means to discover and consume geospatial data;
- Become a trusted source of data for existing situational awareness applications (Google DC, INDEX, ISAVE, VIPER, WebEOC, and others);
- Develop tools within COTS GIS packages for GIS analysts to quickly publish their trade craft to the region;
- Allow all of the above to be done securely within parameters established by data providers.
The GIS managers have selected the KCI Associates of DC / PhotoScience joint venture team, with the team including Touchstone Consulting Group and TechGlobal, Inc. The Team brings us a working software product called Virtual USA that was created by the Department of Homeland Security’s Command, Control, and Interoperability Division. Virtual USA is open source software that is being utilized in several regions of the country to provide a cost-effective capability for securely and easily sharing user published geospatial data across jurisdictional boundaries and between all levels of government. The Virtual USA open source platform will be customized for the National Capital Region.
Visit https://gdx.ncrnet.us/ for additional information.
Program at a Glance
Program Title: NCR Geospatial Data Exchange
Type: Planning and Strategy
Collaborate across jurisdictions and disciplines to share geospatial information.
Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments
United States Department of Homeland Security
DC Homeland Security and Emergency Management Agency
KCI Technologies, Inc.
Arlington County GIS
District of Columbia GIS
Fairfax County GIS
Frederick County GIS
Loudoun County GIS
Maryland State Geographic Information Committee
Montgomery County GIS
Prince George's County GIS
Prince William County GIS
Virginia Information Technology Agency
National Capital Region Virtual IT Portal
No Related News
No Related Photos
No Related Videos