WHO/WHAT: Mayor Vincent C. Gray will lead the DC Full Democracy Freedom Rally and March on Saturday, October 15, 2011, starting at 9:30 a.m. at Freedom Plaza. Other speakers and participants include: Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton; Congressman John Lewis (D-GA); DC Council Chairman Kwame Brown; At-Large Councilmember Vincent Orange; Ward 8 Councilmember Marion Barry; At-Large Councilmember Michael Brown; At-Large Councilmember Phil Mendelson; Ward 5 Councilmember Harry Thomas, Jr.; D.C. Shadow Senators Paul Strauss and Michael Brown; Dr. E. Faye Williams, National Political Congress of Black Women; James Reynolds, Celebrity/Actor, Days of Our Lives; Ilir Zherka, DC Vote; Marc Morial, President, National Urban League; Activist Ralph Nader; Activist Dick Gregory; Youth Mayor Ryan Washington; Labor Leader Jos Williams; Miss Black USA Kristen White; and Steve Glaude, Director of the Mayor’s Office of Community Affairs. Entertainment will include the Fame band; Alex Cena from Sulu DC and the Howard University Gospel Choir. Mayor Gray and these dignitaries also will be available for media interviews about the rally and march and its significance.
WHEN/WHERE: Saturday, October 15, 2011 9:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
13th Street & Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20004
· 9:30 am – Pre-program
· 10:00 am- Rally
· 11:00 am- March
BACKGROUND: The Gray Administration will continue Dr. King’s call for freedom and democracy. These events will bring District residents together to bring attention to the District’s quest for self-determination, autonomy and statehood.
MEDIA LOGISTICS: Set-up for Live Shots
· Four trucks may park on the left (south) side of Pennsylvania Avenue/E Street at the corner of 14th and Pennsylvania across from the J.W. Marriott Hotel (first come, first served).
· Arrival time is 7:00 am. The trucks must depart by 12 noon.
· Designated parking signs for news trucks will be posted.
· Cable may be run from right side of Freedom Plaza on Pennsylvania Avenue and 14th St. (J.W. Marriott side) along the side wall of first group of stairs leading up to the plaza. All cable MUST be taped to stair walls; they cannot be run over the walls of the plaza. Cable will not be allowed directly on the steps. Live interviews will take place on the left side of the stage.
Print, Radio, Other TV
· Press kits will be distributed to media at the press tent to the left of the stage, the opposite side of the place from the designated parking area for live trucks.
· Print and radio reporters may conduct interviews in the designated media site on the plaza.
· Press will have access to press risers in front of the stage. They will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.
· A limited number of chairs will available (about 6) for reporters to place in front of press riser.
· There is no designated press parking, except for live trucks.
· There are no drop-offs along Pennsylvania Avenue.
· 13th and Pennsylvania is the designated drop-off location.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, visit www.dc.gov.