October 14, 2011
Road Closures for Martin Luther King Jr. Monument Dedication Ceremony
Road Closures for Martin Luther King, Jr. Monument Dedication Ceremony
(Washington, DC) The US Park Police have provided the following information about road closures for the Martin Luther King, Jr. Monument dedication ceremony that is scheduled to take place on Sunday, October 16. There will be numerous streets impacted in the District and motorists are advised there could be traffic delays associated with this activity.
The following road closures will begin at 4 am on Sunday, October 16, 2011:
- Ramp from inbound Memorial Bridge to Ohio Drive SW and Independence Avenue. All traffic will be sent north to 23rd Street and Henry Bacon Drive.
- 17th Street between Constitution Avenue and Independence Avenue.
- Southbound Ohio Drive at Parkway Drive. All traffic will be sent to Parkway Drive and the Lincoln Memorial Circle.
- Ramp from Potomac Freeway to Ohio Drive. All traffic will be sent to Potomac Freeway or Rock Creek Parkway.
- Eastbound Independence Avenue between 15th Street and 23rd Street SW.
- Westbound Independence Avenue between 15th Street and 23rd Streets SW.
- Periodic road closures on Constitution Avenue between 14th and 17th Streets and on 15th Street between Constitution Avenue and Maine Avenue.
All roads will re-open when United States Park Police deems the area safe for vehicular traffic
Due to the extremely heavy pedestrian crowds associated with these events, motorists are encouraged to exercise extreme caution when traveling in these areas. In addition, those wishing to attend these events are encouraged to use public transportation.
More information about most of the transportation options for reaching the memorial is available online at www.dedicatethedream.org. If you plan to take Capital Bikeshare, please check the system map for the closest stations.