The Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) manages permits for properties operated by the National Park Service (NPS) including Rock Creek Park, Fort Dupont Park and the volleyball courts located on the National Mall.
National Park Service Sites
The DPR Permit Office issues picnic area permits for the following National Park Service locations:
- Rock Creek Park - Picnic areas that require a permit
- Fort Dupont Park - Picnic areas 47, 47-A, and Lanham Estates
- Volleyball Courts - Located near the Lincoln Memorial (Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway, NW)
- Picnic Areas: DPR-permitted picnic groves in Rock Creek Park are available from May 1 to October 31; DPR-permitted picnic groves in Fort Dupont Park are available from May 1 to September 30. We begin accepting applications for both sites on the first work day after New Year’s Day.
- Volleyball Courts: DPR-permitted volleyball courts near the Lincoln Memorial are available from May 1 to September 30. Applications must be submitted in the month preceding the proposed use. We begin accepting applications for these volleyball courts on April 1. The first business day of each month we will accept applications starting at 7:30 am, all other days it's during normal permit hours.
- April 1, 2013 (permits for May)
May 1, 2013 (permits for June)
June 3, 2013 (permits for July)
July 1, 2013 (permits for August)
August 1, 2013 (permits for September)
Office Hours and Processing Information
You may submit an application for these NPS locations in-person at DPR Headquarters’ Permit Office, Monday - Friday, 9:00AM - 5:00PM. When applying for an NPS permit, please note the following:
- Permit fee is $7.00 per picnic area or volleyball court
- You will need to present a government issued photo ID
- Applicants are limited to a reservation of one space, per person, per month
- DPR can only accept checks and money orders for NPS permits. Cash and credit cards will not be accepted
DC Department of Parks and Recreation
1250 U Street, NW
Washington, DC 20009
Phone: (202) 671-2597
Fax: (202) 673-2087