The Department of Parks and Recreation's (DPR) Athletic Permits Office handles all permit applications for the athletic use of its ball fields, and basketball courts. The Athletic Permits Office is your one-stop-shop whether you would like field space for your youth baseball league or would like to reserve an indoor basketball court for a basketball game. The first step to reserving any of DPR’s athletic facilities is to find a facility that meets your needs. You may find a list of our recreation centers, fields, and gymnasiums below.
The second step is to complete a Permit Application Form requesting the facility.
The Permit Office has moved to the first floor of the DPR Central Office located at 1250 U Street, NW.
In order to better serve you and more efficiently process permit requests, the permit office shall have the following hours:
- Office Hours: Monday – Friday 9:00am-5:00pm Closed Saturday and Sunday.
- Walk-Ins: Customers may drop off permit applications or submit payments any weekday between 9:00am and 5:00pm. For general concerns, questions, or comments, the office will provide walk-in hours from 9:00am and 5:00pm.
- Discussing a Permit/Application Request: Customers whom wish to discuss any permit issues (Approval, Denial, Pending Request,) or general questions concerning a permit can schedule a meeting or conference call (202) 671-0297 or email: DPRpermits@dc.gov.
Your preferred location may be offline temporarily or on a long-term basis due to inclement weather or construction. Visit the DPR Athletic Fields page for more information.
- Artificial (synthetic) fields and indoor basketball courts/gyms are available year round. They will close March 11-17, 2013 for general maintenance, debris removal and brushing of the fields.
DPR generally permits its ball fields and basketball courts on a seasonal basis. DPR will now have only two scheduling seasons: Fall/Winter, and Spring/Summer. Prior to each scheduling season, DPR will publish on the website a time period, or “permit window,” during which the agency will accept permit applications. The latest seasonal athletic permit information is listed below. Note that DPR will handle late requests for fields and gyms in the order in which they are received and will not be processed until applications received on time during Permit Window are complete.
- Permit Season: Fall/Winter 2013-2014
- Season Duration: September 2, 2013 – March 24, 2013
- Permit Window: June 03 - 21, 2013
- Application Deadline: 11:59 p.m., June 21, 2013
- Notifications of Availability: Week of August 5, 2013
*Please note that our natural turf (grass) fields and outdoor basketball courts go offline November 25, 2013 – March 28, 2014
- Permit Season: Spring/Summer 2013
- Season Duration: March 18, 2013 - August 30, 2013
- Permit Window: December 10, 2012 - January 4, 2013
- Application Deadline: 11:59 p.m., January 4, 2013
- Notifications of Availability: Week of January 28, 2013
Seasonal Athletic Permit Preferences
Provided that the application is timely, DPR will, in scheduling its fields for the permitting season, award field preferences in the following order:
- DPR Programs
- DC Public Schools and Public Charter Schools
- DPR Partners (Organizations that have executed a DPR Partnership Agreement)
- Private Youth Leagues and Teams
- Private Adult Leagues
Prospective permit holders must pay two weeks after receiving email confirmation of the availability of their field or gym. In order to cover incidental costs associated with late permits, DPR will charge a permit holder a fee equal to 15% of the total cost of the permit for any payment that arrives past the two week deadline. DPR reserves the right to cancel any athletic permit for which it has not received payment after the two-week deadline.
National Park Service (NPS) Fields
The DPR Athletic Permits Office also manages the permits for NPS athletic fields. National Park Service Fields 1-8 located along Ohio Drive, S.W. and Wallenberg field are scheduled to be available for use on May 1, 2011. NPS Fields 9-13 are currently offline due to construction. For further information on National Park Service fields and construction schedules please contact the National Park Service at (202) 619-7225.
DPR Permit Office
1250 U Street, NW
Washington, DC 20009
Phone: (202) 671-2597
Fax: (202) 673-4358