The Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) Permit Office manages and issues permits for all DPR recreation centers, facilities, fields, parks and community gardens. The Permit Office is found on the first floor of the DPR Central Office located at 1250 U Street, NW.
Permit Application Process
DPR allows you to complete requests for permits online using the online permit applicaiton.
Choose a park, specific park location (or grove), field or facility and date for your event, along with an alternative location and/or date in the event that your first choice is not available. If you are unsure whether or not a permit is required for your event, please call the DPR Permit office at (202) 671-2597.
Be sure to complete ALL required sections of this applications. All proposed activities and events are subject to approval from DPR. DPR will NOT consider your submission if the application is incomplete.
Submittal of an application does NOT grant you a permit or confirmation to conduct your planned event; all applications are subject to review. Completed applications with appropriate fees and requested documentation/information must be submitted within the appropriate timeframe; otherwise, your request will be voided and/or cancelled.
DPR processes applications for permits in the order of receipt.
Seasonal Athletic Permit Preferences: Provided that the application is timely, DPR will, in scheduling its fields for the permitting season, award field preferences in the following order:
- DPR Programs
- DC Public Schools and Public Charter Schools
- DPR Partners (Organizations that have executed a DPR Partnership Agreement)
- Private Youth Leagues and Teams
- Private Adult Leagues
- Office Hours: Monday – Friday 9 am-5 pm; Closed Saturday and Sunday.
- Walk-Ins: Customers may drop off permit applications or submit payments any weekday between 9 am and 5 pm.
- Discussing a Permit/Application Request: Customers whom wish to discuss any permit issues (Approval, Denial, Pending Request,) or general questions concerning a permit can schedule a meeting or conference call by contacting the permit office by phone or email: DPRpermits@dc.gov.
Upon receiving your completed application, DPR will contact you within 7 days regarding the status of your application. You will be informed of any fees that must be paid, along with any additional documentation requirements. DPR reserves the right to require additional information or documentation regarding the applicant, applicant’s company, sponsoring company/organization, cosponsors, event participants, event vendors, event activities or the event. Moreover, DPR may postpone approval of special event permits until receipt of additional requested information or documentation. Failure to submit requested information or documentation in a timely manner may be cause for denial of a request.
DPR generally permits its ball fields and basketball courts on a seasonal basis. DPR will now have only two scheduling seasons: Fall/Winter, and Spring/Summer. Prior to each scheduling season, DPR will publish on the website a time period, or “permit window,” during which the agency will accept permit applications. The latest seasonal athletic permit information is listed below. Note that DPR will handle late requests for fields and gyms in the order in which they are received and will not be processed until applications received on time during Permit Window are complete.
- Permit Season: Fall/Winter 2013-2014
- Season Duration: September 2, 2013 – March 24, 2013
- Permit Window: June 03 - 21, 2013
- Application Deadline: 11:59 p.m., June 21, 2013
- Notifications of Availability: Week of August 5, 2013
- DC Department of Parks and Recreation Central Office
1250 U Street, NW, 2nd Floor
Washington DC 20009
Telephone: (202) 673-7647
Fax: (202) 673-6694
- Permits Office
1250 U Street, NW, 1st Floor
Washington DC 20009
Telephone: (202) 671-2597
Fax: (202) 673-4358
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org