Prior to joining the DC Department of Parks and Recreation, Jesús Aguirre served as the Director of School Operations for the District of Columbia Public Schools (DCPS). In that capacity, Jesús was responsible for:
- Providing operational support for over 120 school principals & instructional superintendents and ensuring that the central office operations were responsive to the needs of the schools. This included day-to-day support on issues such as staffing, facilities, finances, logistics, etc., as well as rapid response during emergent incidents. In addition, his team provides extensive support for summer school, the annual opening of schools, and the school budgeting process.
- Managing the DCPS school security office and acting as a liaison with the MPD on all issues related to school security contracts. This ensured proper security staffing and incident responsiveness at schools.
- Overseeing the provision of technology support for the District through a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between DCPS and the Office of the Chief Technology Officer (OCTO). This MOU is aimed at providing the District with the technical infrastructure and support to ensure the success of all its programs.
- Correcting the District’s ERATE program, a process through which the District will receive reimbursements for telecommunications expenditures on an ongoing basis.
- Overseeing the District’s emergency response plan, including pandemic flu and inclement weather planning.
- Managing the District’s overall enrollment process, including residency verification and the annual enrollment audit. The enrollment process was streamlined to make it easier for parents to enroll and to support the schools’ ability to meet enrollment targets.
Jesús began his professional career as a middle school science teacher in Los Angeles. He has managed various programs for a national non-profit as well as for a small book publisher. Prior to joining DCPS, Jesús co-founded and operated one of the first charter schools in Arizona that serves under-privileged students in Phoenix.
Jesús holds a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Texas at Austin and a Masters in Business Administration from the W.P. Carey School of Business at Arizona State University. He now resides in Washington DC.