DPR Customer Service: (202) 673-7647
DPR Media Contact: John Stokes, (202) 288-7275, firstname.lastname@example.org
DOES Media Contact: Najla Haywood, (202) 724-3837, email@example.com
(Washington, DC) The DC Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) and the DC Department of Employment Services (DOES) announced today the launch of a new, workforce development program, "Grow Your Own". "Grow Your Own" is a collaborative effort with DOES for District residents, ages 18 - 24 years old. This program will expose and educate program participants in workforce development sessions, recreation services training, and weekly work skills seminar. At the conclusion of the program, participants will have the gained the skills and knowledge to become a Recreational Specialist, Junior Roving Leader or Aquatics staff member with the DC Department of Parks and Recreation.
"Grow Your Own" will host a Program Launch Kick-off at DPR's King Greeneleaf Recreation Center (201 N Street, SW) on Monday, February 4, 2013 from 10 am to 11 am. DOES Director Lisa Mallory, DPR Chief of Staff John Stokes, and special invited guests will welcome the program participants and Program Lead Karlene Ore-Klimpacher will provide an overview of the program's components, including what the participants can expect during the 24 week program.
Participants in the program were recommended to DPR by DOES. Upon recommendation, applicants had to go through the current hiring process, background check and vetting before being admitted to the program. The 24 week program will begin on Monday, February 4 through Friday, June 14, 2013; and will be a paid opportunity that could potentially lead to permanent employment with DPR.
Participating DPR Recreation Center sites in the "Grow Your Own" program are as follows:
- Marie Reed Recreation Center (2200 Champlain Street, NW)
- Park View Community Center (693 Otis Place, NW)
- Emery Recreation Center (5801 Georgia Ave., NW)
- Lamond Recreation Center (20 Tuckerman Street, NE)
- Riggs-LaSalle Recreation Center (501 Riggs Road, NE)
- Brentwood Recreation Center (2311 14th Street, NE)
- Harry Thomas Sr. Recreation Center (1743 Lincoln Road, NE)
- North Michigan Park Recreation Center (1333 Emerson Street, NE)
- Trinidad Recreation Center (1310 Childress Street, NE)
- Kennedy Recreation Center (1401 7th Street, NW)
- King Greenleaf Recreation Center (201 N Street, SW)
- Rosedale Community Center (1701 Gales Street, NE)
- Benning Park Community Center (Southern Avenue & Fable Street, SE)
- Deanwood Recreation Center (1350 49th Street, NE)
- Fort Davis Community Center (1400 41st Street, SE)
- Hillcrest Recreation Center (3100 Denver Street, SE)
- Bald Eagle Recreation Center (100 Joliet Street, SE)
- Barry Farm Recreation Center (1230 Sumner Road, SE)
- Ferebee-Hope Recreation Center (3999 8th Street, SE)
For information on DPR programs & activities and the most up-to-date information, be sure to
follow DPR on Facebook, Twitter, Join our Mailing List or visit the DPR Website.