Who We Are
Enhancing DC's quality of life
The latest news and closure information
Find Freedom of Information Act records
View All »
Programs and Services
Register for Programs
Find and sign up for activities in DC
Sports activities for all ages
Find year-round pool activities
View All »
Facilities and Permits
Permits and Reservations
Reserve fields, rooms, parks, and more
Find a recreation center near you
Find the nearest indoor or outdoor pool
View All »
See what's new and what's improved
DPR's current capital projects
Innovating a better DPR
View All »
Size: A A A
DPR Summer Employment
The DC Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) Human Resources Division has launched the annual Summer Hiring application for Summer 2013. DPR's Human Resources is offering employment opportunities for the following positions at DPR: Aquatics, Camps, Operations and Headquarters. DPR strives to provide high quality recreational programming for youth of all ages that enhances the year-round opportunities available in the District.
- The Summer Aquatics Staff will have the opportunity to be lifeguards, assistant pool managers, and customer service representatives. Staff is expected to provide residents and visitors of the District with safe, well-maintained aquatic facilities and assist with programs that offer a diverse and comprehensive scope of water related activities. DPR Aquatics offers residents of all ages and abilities a variety of high-quality programming from aqua aerobics and swim instruction to scuba and water polo.
- The Summer Camps Staff will have the opportunity to be creative, work with youth, and develop professional goals, while enjoying all that DPR has to offer Washington, DC’s youth. DPR will provide summer staff with engaging training, creative curriculum, scheduled trips, and a team of like-minded staff to meet the goals outlined in the program in a structured and supportive atmosphere.
- The Summer Operations Staff will have the opportunity to assist with DPR facilities, daily warehouse operations and transportation/CDL licensed drivers.
- The Summer Headquarters Staff will have the opportunity to assist the DPR's Central Office location with administration duties. Staff will be assigned to a specific division within headquarters. This is an office environment and professional attire is required.
DPR is looking for talented individuals to join our team who are energetic, professional, responsible and motivated. Please review our open positions and apply online!
DPR is hiring for a variety of positions. Learn more about the qualifications and responsibilities of each position:
- Apply online
Complete the application and personal statement to the best of your ability for the program of interest. Please be certain to make any edits and corrections prior to submission.
You will receive an e-mail confirmation that your application has been received.
- Application Screening
You will receive a notification of the status of your application within five business days of submission.
- Pre-Selection Background Clearance
If you are screened as a highly qualified candidate based on your application and resume, you will receive a notification requesting your availability to complete a background clearance in advance. This does not guarantee employment, however, it will assist us in expediting your hiring process if or when selected.
The selection process will begin mid February and continue through the end of May.
- Phase 1: Interview Fair
If you are considered for potential employment based on your submitted application, you will be notified with an invitation to an interview fair. The program managers of the program you have applied to will interview you. Depending on the position for which you are qualified for, you may be asked to perform an additional task.
- Phase 2: Panel Interview
If you are considered for potential employment based on your interview at the interview fair, you will be notified with an invitation for a 2nd interview with the Program Manager and program representatives. You will be notified the final status of your selection/rejection for the program within 10 business days of the 2nd interview.
- Pre-Employment Clearance
If you are selected for employment based on your 2nd interview, you will be asked to complete a Background Clearance with the Metropolitan Police Department (located at 300 Indiana Avenue NW) and Suitability Clearance with DCHR (located at 441 4th Street NW, Suite 330S). Refusal to undergo any portion of this process is considered grounds for immediate disqualification. Please note that if you are a returning summer employee and were cleared to work through a MPD background check in 2011 or under the age of 18, you will not need to complete a background clearance. You will, however, be required to complete the DCHR suitability check.
- Phase 3: Placement Interview
Once you have been selected for placement for Summer 2013, you will be required to attend a placement interview. If you were not assigned a location during the hiring process, you will be interviewed by site managers to determine an appropriate camp location for the program you have been hired for.
- Orientation and Offer Letter
Once you have successfully completed steps 1-7 and have passed both MPD and DCHR clearances, you will receive an invitation to attend Orientation at 1250 U Street NW. All on-boarding documentation will be completed and upon receiving a completed on-boarding package, you will receive a formal offer letter from DPR HR. Your offer letter will state your position, program, salary, start date, and end date. You are not permitted to exceed your employment beyond your end date, unless otherwise notified by DPR HR.
NOTE: You are only permitted to start working at your assigned location/camp once you have completed steps 1-9. You will not be authorized to work if you do not have a signed offer letter at hand.
Frequently Asked Questions
For many summer hires this will be their first professional working experience. To help reduce the amount of confusion, DPR has provided a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page on our website.
DC Department of Parks and Recreation
Human Resources Division
Phone: (202) 431-6719
DC DPR seeks highly motivated and energetic individuals to be part of the DC Department of Parks and Recreation's staff this summer.
Service at a Glance
Provided By: DPR
Location: 1250 U Street, NW Washington, DC 20009