DDOT is reconstructing a 0.4-mile segment of Historic U Street from 9th Street to 14th Street. to improve and landscape the sidewalk areas, repair the roadway, and perform upgrades to the streetlights, traffic signals and storm drains. Work is scheduled to begin the week of June 11, 2012 and be completed spring 2013. During construction, DDOT will work with businesses and property owners throughout the area to minimize disruptions and coordinate the daily activities, deliveries, and access to restaurants, shops, music venues, the metro station, and other facilities in the area.
The U Street NW Streetscape Project is a District Department of Transportation (DDOT) construction project that includes the rehabilitation of U Street – a commercial and residential street in NW DC – between 9th Street NW and 14th Street NW. This urban, mixed-use area will undergo upgrades to:
- Repair and replace the roadway, driveway and alley entrances
- Replace deteriorated sidewalks with new, ADA-compliant sidewalks
- Provide streetscape and landscape features along the sidewalk area, including brick gutters and granite curbs
- Provide special decorative sidewalks in front of the Lincoln Theatre
- Replace bus pads at WMATA bus stops
- Upgrade storm drainage inlets to water quality inlets, storm sewer pipes and fire hydrants
- Install a new electrical duct bank system, new teardrop and Washington Globe streetlights, and traffic signal upgrades and relocations
- Install centralized parking meters and new traffic signs
View U Street Rehabilitation Project in a larger map
Project at a Glance
Program Title: U Street NW Streetscape Project
Providing Agency: District Department of Transportation
Office: Infrastructure Project Management Administration (IPMA)
Start Date: June 11, 2012
Milestones and Deliverables
U Street NW Streetscape Project will contain:
Project Start Date:The project began on Monday, June 11, 2012 in the 900 block of U Street NW.
Project Complete Date:The project is anticipated to be completed in spring 2013.
Public Notification:An informal meeting with take place for each block to inform stakeholders of upcoming.
No Related Photos
No Related Videos