Columbus Plaza is located south of Union Station on Massachusetts Avenue, NW. District Department of Transportation (DDOT), in conjunction with the National Park Service (NPS) and the Union Station Redevelopment Corporation (USRC), began designing improvements for pedestrian safety and vehicular access at Columbus Plaza in 2004, based on access and circulation studies completed in 2000 and 2002.
The rehabilitation project will improve access and circulation patterns in and around Columbus Plaza for pedestrians, taxis, bicyclists, private vehicles, commercial vehicles, Metro buses, private motor coaches, and tour buses that stop at Union Station. Designs were completed in coordination with Amtrak, the Architect of the US Capitol, the National Capital Planning Commission, the US Commission of Fine Arts, and the DC State Historic Preservation Office. The public participated in several public meetings and commented on the designs in 2008 and 2009.
The project, which will be managed by DDOT, is being funded through a cooperative agreement between DDOT, USRC and the NPS. The project was designed to provide needed improvements at the city's primary multi-modal transportation center, while preserving and enhancing the historic character of Columbus Plaza and Union Station. A copy of the completed Environmental Assessment for “Columbus Circle/ Columbus Plaza Rehabilitation” is available at: parkplanning.nps.gov/nama .
The work area will include the roadway adjacent to Union Station on the east and west sides; Columbus Circle; First Street, NE between Massachusetts Avenue and G Street; Columbus Drive, NE between Massachusetts Avenue and F Street; and the streets that intersect Massachusetts Avenue at Columbus Circle.
Union Station, built in 1908 and the Columbus Memorial in Columbus Plaza, built in 1912, are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.