The purpose of the Downtown Bike Lane Pilot Project is to improve bicycle safety and access in the downtown area while maintaining the transportation function of downtown Washington. This is particularly important as we expand to a larger, regional, bike sharing system of over 1100 bikes by the end of the year. These bike lanes are also included the 2005 Bicycle Master Plan. Bike lanes are an important part of our goal of expanding transportation choices in the District and the region.
2013 Bike Ways
DDOT plans to install 5 miles of bike lanes and 5 miles of shared lanes before the end of 2013. This will include a new cycle track on M Street, NW between 14th and 28th Streets. See the M Street Protected Bike Lane Project [PDF] document.
Innovative Bike Facilities Research
DDOT has completed the evaluation of the innovative bicycle facilities installed in 2010 on 15th Street, Pennsylvania Avenue, and the intersection at 16th/U/New Hampshire. The study began in May of 2011 and concluded the following spring. The results are being used to make improvements and help with the design of other similar projects, such and the L Street and M Street cycle tracks downtown.
For additional information, see the related documents found below.
Program at a Glance
Program Title: Bicycle Lanes
Providing Agency: District Department of Transportation
Office: Policy, Planning and Sustainability Administration (PPSA)
Type: Planning and Strategy
To expand transportation choices in the District and the region.
No Related Projects
- Bike Lane Count Fact Sheet 2011 [PDF]
-- /DC/DDOT/Publication Files/On Your Street/Bicycles and Pedestrians/Bicycles/Bike_Lane_Count_Fact_Sheet_2011.pdf
- M Street Protected Bike Lane Project [PDF]
-- /DC/DDOT/Publication Files/On Your Street/Bicycles and Pedestrians/Bicycles/Bike Lanes/MStNW_InfoSheet_May2013.pdf
- M Street Cycle Track - 50% Submittal - Updated - May 2013 [PDF]
-- /DC/DDOT/Publication Files/On Your Street/Bicycles and Pedestrians/Bicycles/Bike Lanes/MStNW_50Percent_May2013.pdf
- M Street Cycle Track - 50% Submittal - October 2010 [PDF]
-- /DC/DDOT/Publication Files/On Your Street/Bicycles and Pedestrians/Bicycles/Bike Lanes/2010-10-25_50_M_STREET_CYCLE_TRACK.pdf
- M Street Existing and Proposed Conditions Matrix [XLS]
-- /DC/DDOT/Publication Files/On Your Street/Bicycles and Pedestrians/Bicycles/Bike Lanes/M_St_Existing_and_Proposed_Conditions_Matrix_printable.xls
- L Street Cycle Track - Final Plans - August 2012 [PDF]
-- /DC/DDOT/Publication Files/On Your Street/Bicycles and Pedestrians/Bicycles/Bike Lanes/L_St_CycleTrack_Final_2012-08-07.pdf
- L Street Protected Bike Lane Project [PDF]
-- /DC/DDOT/Publication Files/On Your Street/Bicycles and Pedestrians/Bicycles/Bike Lanes/L_St_ProtectedBikeLane.pdf
- L Street Existing and Proposed Conditions Matrix [XLS]
-- /DC/DDOT/Publication Files/On Your Street/Bicycles and Pedestrians/Bicycles/Bike Lanes/L_St_Existing_and_Proposed_Conditions_Matrix.xlsx
- 15th Street NW Separated Bike Lane Pilot Project - August 2010 [PDF]
- 15th Street NW from E St to Euclid St - 100% Submittal - September 2010 [PDF]
- Revised Pennsylvania Avenue Bike Lanes - June 8, 2010 [PDF]
- Downtown Bike Lane Pilot Project - DDOT Letter to TPB - May 13, 2010 [PDF]
- Traffic Memorandum - Pennsylvania Avenue - November 12, 2009 [PDF]
- Traffic Memorandum - L Street - Bike Lane North Side - December 10, 2008 [PDF]
- Traffic Analysis - I Street - L Street - Pennsylvania Avenue, NW [PDF]
No Related Photos
No Related Videos