Story at a Glance
Due to traffic delays, race participants and spectators are highly encouraged to use public transportation.
(Washington, DC) The Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) has provided the following information about scheduled street closures and parking restrictions for the Marine Corps Marathon, which is scheduled for Sunday, October 30, 2011.
The race begins at 8:00 am in Arlington, Virginia, and then crosses the Potomac River into the District of Columbia. MPD in conjunction with U.S. Park Police will close numerous streets along the race route beginning at 6:00 am and should reopen them by 1:30 pm:
- Francis Scott Key Bridge
- Canal Road, NW – from M Street to Reservoir Road
- Reservoir Road, NW – from MacArthur Boulevard to Canal Road
- MacArthur Boulevard – from Foxhall Road to Reservoir Road
- Foxhall Road, NW – from Canal Road to MacArthur Boulevard
- M Street, NW – from Canal Road to Wisconsin Avenue
- Wisconsin Avenue, NW – from M Street to K Street
- K Street, NW – from Wisconsin Avenue to Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway
- Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway, NW - from K Street to Independence Avenue
- Memorial Bridge
- West Potomac Park
- East Potomac Park (access to Golf Course and Tennis Courts available)
- Maine Avenue, SW – from East Basin Drive to Independence Avenue
- Independence Avenue, SW – from Maine Avenue to Ohio Drive
- Ohio Drive, SW – between Independence Avenue and Lincoln Circle
- Lincoln Circle – from Ohio Drive, SW to Henry Bacon Drive, NW
- 23rd Street, NW – from Lincoln Circle to Constitution Avenue
- Constitution Avenue, NW – from Henry Bacon Drive to 15th Street
- 15th Street – from Constitution Avenue, NW to Independence Avenue, SW
- 17th Street – from Constitution Avenue, NW to Independence Avenue, SW
- Madison Drive, NW – from 15th Street to 3rd Street
- 3rd Street, NW – from Pennsylvania Avenue, NW to Independence, SW
- Pennsylvania Avenue, NW – from 3rd Street to East Capitol Circle
- 1st Street – Pennsylvania Avenue, NW to Maryland Avenue, SW
- Maryland Avenue, SW – from South Capitol Circle to 3rd Street
- Jefferson Drive, SW – from 3rd Street to 15th Street
- 14th Street, SW – from Jefferson Drive to Northbound HOV lanes
- HOV lanes – from 14th Street, SW to HOV ramp at South Eads Street
Note: A course map as well as additional information regarding street closures in Arlington County is posted at www.marinemarathon.com, the official race website.
Police will reopen the roadways as soon as possible, provided doing so does not interfere with the race.
Metrorail will begin service at 5:00 am on Sunday, October 30, 2011. Due to traffic delays, race participants and spectators are highly encouraged to use public transportation.