(Washington, DC) — Cyclists in the Washington area can now sign up in advance for Capital Bikeshare, the regional bikesharing network that is scheduled to start service in September in the District and Arlington, Virginia. The program’s website is now live at www.capitalbikeshare.com and by signing up online now individuals can take advantage of a special introductory offer.
Here are the details:
- For a limited time, Capital Bikeshare is offering annual memberships for $50. That is $25 off the regular annual price.
- In addition, the first 2,000 “Founding Members” will receive a limited edition Capital Bikeshare key and a Capital Bikeshare t-shirt.
- Monthly memberships are also available for $25 online and daily memberships will be offered for $5 at station kiosks once Capital Bikeshare begins service next month.
- When you sign up, your credit card will be charged, but your membership will not be active until Capital Bikeshare begins to operate.
- A $101 preauthorization hold is placed on new accounts. The hold can last for up to 10 days, depending on the credit card company. Please note that using a debit card may result in overdrafts if you don't have sufficient funds in your account to cover the hold.
- Membership packets will be mailed in early September, in time for the launch of the system.
One thousand bikes will be available at 100 locations throughout the District in all 8 wards as well as 14 more stations in the Crystal City and Pentagon City areas of Arlington County. The station locations are still being finalized. Visit www.capitalbikeshare.com for more information.
The annual, monthly, and daily memberships allow for an unlimited number of rentals during the membership period. The first 30 minutes of every trip is FREE. After the first 30 minutes of free use, members will be charged a usage fee for each additional increment of 30 minutes as follows:
- The second half hour will cost $1.50
- The third half hour will cost an additional $3.00
- Each subsequent half hour will cost an additional $6.00
(The pricing structure is intended to encourage shorter trips rather than all day rentals.)
For regular updates follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/bikeshare and Facebook at www.facebook.com/CapitalBikeshare.