Story at a Glance
All major roadwork on the Pennsylvania Avenue Great Streets Project, Pennsylvania Avenue, SE between 27th Street, SE and Alabama Avenue, SE is on schedule to be completed by the end of December 2011.
(Washington, DC) The District Department of Transportation (DDOT) announced that all major roadwork on the Pennsylvania Avenue Great Streets Project, Pennsylvania Avenue, SE between 27th Street, SE and Alabama Avenue, SE is on schedule to be completed by the end of December 2011. Pennsylvania Avenue, SE in this area will be open to two lanes of traffic in each direction and the traffic signalization will be in full operation by December 31, 2011; weather permitting.
The last portion of roadway, between Alabama Avenue, SE and Southern Avenue, SE, the final surface asphalt, landscaping and “punch list” items will wrap up in Spring 2012. The project encountered delays due to additional replacement of aging utilities and unanticipated soil conditions that pushed back the completion to Spring 2012. While this stretch remains under construction one traffic lane per each direction will be kept open. Upon completion of the final segment of roadway, the new lanes will be opened to allow traffic to flow two lanes in each direction the entire length of the project and the Pennsylvania Avenue Great Streets Project will be complete.
Please note that work hours are 7 am to 7 pm, Monday through Saturday. Please consider alternate routes and proceed with caution as you travel through the construction work area.
Suggested alternate routes include:
- Suitland Road to Alabama Avenue, SE to Good Hope Road, SE
- Massachusetts Avenue, SE to Minnesota Avenue, SE
Keep in mind:
- Variable Message Boards are set up throughout the impact area to alert motorists of any upcoming traffic changes.
- Sidewalks are open and temporary crosswalks will be set up at intersections.
- Drivers and pedestrians are urged to stay alert and use caution when traveling by the work zone.
- Plan ahead to minimize delays and use alternate routes to avoid the area.
Questions regarding this project may be directed to: DDOT Project Manager - Robert Chrusciel at (202) 497-8107.