Story at a Glance
Branch Avenue, SE, on either side of Pennsylvania Avenue, SE, is scheduled to be closed starting at 10 am on Thursday, July 7, 2011 through 5 am on Monday, July 11, 2011.
(Washington, DC) The District Department of Transportation (DDOT) is scheduled to temporarily close Branch Avenue, SE on either side of Pennsylvania Avenue, SE to rebuild the roadway for the Pennsylvania Avenue Great Streets Project. The closure will start at 10 am on Thursday, July 7, 2011 and remain in place through 5 am on Monday, July 11, 2011, weather permitting.
Due to the heavy traffic volumes along this construction zone and the required depth for the construction activity, DDOT determined it could not safely maintain traffic on Branch Avenue while rebuilding the roadway. By closing Branch Avenue at the intersection, DDOT will be able to expedite the roadway work while maintaining a safe work zone.
Branch Avenue Closure Limits:
Branch Avenue will be closed for approximately 100 feet north and south of Pennsylvania Avenue. The remainder of Branch Avenue will remain open and accessible to local traffic. There will be NO ACCESS onto Branch Avenue at the intersection of Pennsylvania Avenue. Vehicles will be prohibited from turning north or south onto Branch Avenue from Pennsylvania Avenue during this closure.
Pennsylvania Avenue will remain open. Sidewalks will be kept open and temporary crosswalks will be set up at intersections.
Variable Message Boards (VMS) will be set up throughout the impact area to alert motorists of the upcoming closures.
Branch Avenue Detours:
The detours listed below are specific to travel on Branch Avenue. Branch Avenue, at the intersection of Pennsylvania Avenue is the ONLY area that will be closed. All other streets and intersections will be open for through traffic.
Vehicles travelling south (outbound):
- At Randle Circle, make a right onto Massachusetts Avenue.
- Travel east on Massachusetts Avenue then make a right onto Alabama Avenue.
- Travel south on Alabama Avenue then make a left onto Branch Avenue.
- Continue on Branch Avenue towards Maryland.
Vehicles travelling north (inbound):
- Travelling north on Branch Avenue in Maryland, make a right onto Southern Avenue.
- Travel on Southern Avenue then make a left onto Pennsylvania Avenue
- Travel on Southern Avenue then make a left onto Massachusetts Avenue.
- At Randle Circle take any exit to your destination.
For more information please contact DDOT Project Engineer Luan Tran (202) 904-3911.