(Washington, DC) The Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) and the US Park Police have provided the following information about temporary road closures for events scheduled over the Memorial Day weekend.
United House of Prayer for All People
Memorial Day Parade
This event is scheduled to take place on Saturday, May 28, from 12 pm to approximately 3 pm. There will be temporary road closures along the route:
- The parade route begins at 6th and M Streets, NW;
- North on 6th Street, NW to S Street;
- West on S Street to 13th Street, NW;
- South on 13th Street, NW to Logan Circle;
- Southwest around Logan Circle to P Street;
- East on P Street to 7th Street, NW;
- South on 7th Street to M Street, NW;
- East on M Street to end at the House of Prayer.
Thunder Alley Event
This event is scheduled from 9 am to 9 pm on Saturday, May 28 and Sunday, May 29, and from 9 am to 5 pm on Monday May 30. The following street closures will be in effect from 8 am Friday May 27 until 5 pm Monday May 30.
- 22nd Street, NW between Constitution Avenue and C Street.
Rolling Thunder Motorcycle Ride
This event is scheduled to take place on Sunday, May 29. It will begin at 11:30 am and will conclude at approximately 4 pm. The motorcycle ride will proceed along the following route:
- Beginning in the North Pentagon parking lot
- Crossing the Memorial Bridge to 23rd Street NW
- North on 23rd St. to Constitution Avenue
- East on Constitution Avenue to Pennsylvania Avenue
- East on Pennsylvania Ave to 3rd Street
- South on 3rd St to Independence Avenue
- West on Independence Ave to West Basin Drive
- Southwest on West Basin Drive to Ohio Drive
- Northwest on Ohio Drive to Franklin D. Roosevelt Park where the ride will end.
The following streets along the route will be closed to traffic beginning at approximately 11:30 am on the day of this event. They are expected to be reopened at about 4 pm:
- Memorial Bridge, to include Memorial Avenue from Route 110 to Arlington Memorial Circle
- Ohio Drive from Independence Avenue to Virginia Avenue
- Ohio Drive, riverside, from the inlet Bridge to Independence Avenue
- Independence Avenue from 1st Street, SW to 23rd Street, SW
- Constitution Avenue from Pennsylvania Avenue, NW to 23rd Street.
- 3rd, 4th, 7th, 12th, 14th, 15th, 17th and 23rd Streets between Independence Avenue and Constitution Avenue, to include one block north of Constitution and one block south of Independence Avenue
- Henry Bacon and Daniel French Drives
In addition, beginning at 5:00 am, West Potomac Park will be closed between Inlet Bridge and the intersection of 23rd Street and Independence Avenue, SW.
There will be United States Park Police Officers in all of these areas to assist motorists and pedestrians.
Visitors to areas affected by these closures, such as the National Mall and the Monuments and Memorials will find public transportation to be the best method to arrive. These visitors should allow some extra time for their trip.
Memorial Day Parade
This event will take place on Monday, May 30 along Constitution Avenue, NW. The parade is scheduled to begin at 2 pm and end at approximately 4 pm. Streets along the parade route will be closed until the conclusion of this event.
Constitution Avenue and the cross streets along the parade route will be closed to traffic beginning at approximately 1 pm until the event has concluded.
In addition, Jefferson Drive and Madison Drive on the National Mall will be closed from 4th Street to 14th Street beginning at 6 am.
Stars and Stripes and Spokes Event
The District Department of Public Works (DPW) has announced that parking restrictions will be enforced around RFK Stadium during the Memorial Day weekend, May 27-30, in conjunction with the Stars and Stripes and Spokes Event.
Throughout the weekend, DPW parking officers will enforce safety-related violations, including blocked fire hydrants, crosswalks and intersections, bus stops and driveways.
The “Stars & Stripes & Spokes” event is expected to attract a high number of motorists because Metro’s Stadium-Armory station will be closed for safety and reliability work. Parking is available in RFK Lots 5 and 8 for $10. This is for cars. Lots open at 8:30 a.m. There also is free motorcycle parking.
For additional traffic advisories please visit DDOT’s Traffic Alerts page or
visit goDCgo.com for more information on transportation options in the District