Story at a Glance
Construction work along H Street/Benning Road to ready the corridor for DC Streetcar continues. Phase 1 of the Western Turnaround work is set to begin on Monday, April 1 and continue through mid-June.
WASHINGTON, DC — Construction work along H Street/Benning Road to ready the corridor for DC Streetcar continues. Phase 1 of the Western Turnaround work is set to begin on Monday, April 1 and continue through mid-June. The Western Turnaround refers to the extension of the streetcar tracks from 3rd Street, NE to the top of the Hopscotch Bridge. Elements include construction of a streetcar platform where passengers may board or leave the streetcars with access to Union Station and tracks to allow the streetcar to reverse course and proceed eastbound through the corridor.
Traffic and parking restrictions and changes are as follows:
- I Street, currently one-way east, will be made two-way from 3rd Street to 5th Street, continuing until October.
- The 800 block of 3rd Street, between H and I Streets, will be restricted to local traffic only. Entrance to and exit from this block of 3rd Street will be at I Street only.
- The 700 block of 3rd Street, between G and H Streets, also will be restricted to local traffic only. Entrance to and exit from this block of 3rd Street will be at G Street only.
- Parking will be temporarily removed on 3rd Street between H and I Streets, except for spaces in front of the residences on the northeast portion of 3rd Street near I Street.
- No turns onto 3rd Street will be permitted from H Street.
- As alternatives, motorists are encouraged to use 4th Street, which is one-way south, or 5th Street, which is two-way, to reach streets north and south of H Street to proceed to 3rd Street and other points west.
- Parking will be temporarily removed on H Street between 4th Street and the Hopscotch Bridge, eastbound and westbound.
- The Kaiser Permanente building and the Union Station loading dock will be right-in, right-out only. This is a permanent change.
Advance warning signs will be posted. The schedule is subject to change due to weather, material and equipment availability and other unforeseen conditions.
DDOT encourages all motorists to Stay Alert and follow all signs as they travel through this corridor.
More detailed construction related notices, including specific dates and locations, are available by request. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate you wish to receive H/Benning updates.
For more information about the DC Streetcar, please visit at www.dcstreetcar.com .