Story at a Glance
DDOT will close Branch Avenue, SE to through traffic at Pennsylvania Avenue to rebuild a portion of the roadway. The closure is required to for safe installation of new roadway. Motorists are encouraged to use alternate routes.
(Washington, DC) The District Department of Transportation (DDOT) announced it will close Branch Avenue, SE to through traffic at Pennsylvania Avenue to rebuild a portion of the roadway.
This closure will begin 9:30 am on Friday, November 4 and is scheduled to continue through 5 am on Monday, November 7, weather permitting, at which time the road will be re-opened.
This closure will allow DDOT to completely rebuild this small portion of roadway while maintaining traffic.
Project Closure Limits:
- The eastbound and westbound lanes on Pennsylvania Avenue will remain open at the intersection to through-traffic; however, vehicles will be prohibited from turning left onto Branch Avenue from Pennsylvania Avenue.
- Motorists traveling northbound and southbound on Branch Avenue toward Pennsylvania Avenue will be prohibited from turning left onto Pennsylvania Avenue.
- There will be no through-traffic onto the opposite side of Branch Avenue at the intersection of Pennsylvania Avenue; vehicles must turn right onto Pennsylvania Avenue.
Suggested Alternate Routes:
- Suitland Road to Alabama Avenue to Good Hope Road
- Massachusetts Avenue to Minnesota Avenue
Variable Message Signs (VMS) will be set up throughout the impact area to alert motorists of the upcoming closures.
Sidewalks will remain open and temporary crosswalks will be set up at intersections.
All motorists are asked to stay alert as they travel through or near this work zone area.
For more information about this work or the Pennsylvania Avenue Great Streets Project, please contact DDOT Project Engineer Luan Tran at 202-904-3911.