During the work, advance signs and other traffic control devices will be used to alert motorist to the closures.
WASHINGTON, DC — The District of Department of Transportation (DDOT) may close one lane and the shoulder in either direction of Interstate 295 (Anacostia Freeway) between Firth Sterling Avenue SE and the 11th Street Bridge on weeknights from Wednesday, April 24 through Tuesday, April 30 for inspection work related to the preliminary design of the South Capitol Street Corridor Project.
Each night’s work will require closing only the left or right lane and adjacent shoulder in just one direction of the highway at a time. In addition, motorists should note that no lane closures for this work will be allowed until 90 minutes after the end of any Washington Nationals night baseball games.
As possible, based on the end of night baseball games and good weather, as early as 9 p.m. to as late as 5 am the next morning, contractors may close lanes per the following schedule:
- on Wednesday, April 24, the right lane and adjacent shoulder of southbound I-295;
- on Thursday, April 25, the left lane and adjacent shoulder of southbound I-295 South;
- on Friday, April 26, the right lane and adjacent shoulder of northbound I-295 North, as well as, the ramp from southbound Suitland Parkway to northbound I-295 with traffic for that ramp following a signed detour to Firth Avenue and then the interstate;
- on Monday, April 29, the left lane and adjacent shoulder on northbound I-295; and
- on Tuesday, April 30, any closures previously scheduled but cancelled due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances may conducted.
Throughout the work, both the Howard Road and 11th Street Bridge Project interchanges will remain fully open to traffic.
During the work, advance signs and other traffic control devices will be used to alert motorist to the closures. To keep everyone safe, motorists should stay alert and obey the posted speed limits when traveling through this area.
For more information about this work or the South Capitol Street Corridor Project, please contact DDOT Project Manager EJ Simie at email@example.com and (202) 741-8528, or visit www.anacostiawaterfront.org/SouthCapitolStreetCorridor .