October 07, 2011
REMINDER: DC 295 Ramp Closures and 20-minute Stoppages Start Tonight
Closures/Stoppages Required to Conduct Traffic Shift for New DC 295 Flyover Bridge
REMINDER: DC 295 Ramp Closures and 20-minute Stoppages Start Tonight. During this time period, motorists are encouraged to use alternate routes.
(Washington, DC) Starting tonight the District Department of Transportation (DDOT) will be conducting a major traffic shift for the opening of the new southbound DC 295 flyover bridge.
The following ramps will be temporarily closed starting at 10 pm tonight through 3 pm tomorrow afternoon:
- The ramps from Pennsylvania Avenue to southbound DC 295
- The ramp from the outbound 11th Street bridge to southbound DC 295
- The exit ramp from southbound DC 295 to Howard Road.
Prior to this activity, single lane closures will apply to southbound DC 295 starting at 8 pm tonight.
During the ramp closures, the following detours will be in place:
- Motorists traveling eastbound on the Southeast/Southwest Expressway and south from the 3rd Street tunnel will be detoured onto South Capitol Street to access southbound 295.
- Motorists traveling on Pennsylvania Avenue, SE will be detoured via 11th Street, SE onto M Street, SE, and then onto South Capitol Street to access southbound 295.
- Motorists seeking access to Howard Road, SE from southbound DC 295 will be detoured to Suitland Parkway and then via First Sterling Avenue, SE to Howard Road, SE.
During this time period, motorists are encouraged to use alternate routes.
Electronic signs will be in place to provide motorists advanced notice of the scheduled detours.
Motorists may also encounter 20-minute traffic stoppages between midnight and 5 am on Saturday, October 8.
In the event of inclement weather or other unforeseen conditions, this work will be rescheduled and an updated advisory will be distributed.
These closures are in addition to the previously publicized off-peak closures of the 11th Street bridges, related ramps, local streets, and I-295/DC 295.
For more information about this work or the 11th Street Bridge Project, please contact DDOT Project Manager Ravindra Ganvir at 202-359-6948 or visit www.ddot.dc.gov/11thStreetBridge.