September 02, 2011
Overnight Closures of Anacostia Freeway (295) for 11th Street Bridge Project
Signed Detours will be Posted During Closures; Motorists Urged to Avoid Area
Overnight motorists are urged to avoid DC 295 between Pennsylvania Avenue and the 11th Street Bridge due to overnight closures on 9/7 and 9/8.
(Washington, DC) – The District of Columbia Department of Transportation will close one direction of the Anacostia Freeway (I-295/DC 295) between Pennsylvania Avenue and the 11th Street Bridge on consecutive nights next week to demolition an existing bridge over the freeway. Northbound 295 will be closed overnight on September 7 and southbound 295 will be closed overnight on September 8, weather permitting.
The closures will occur between 10 pm and 5 am the next morning, with a single lane closure beginning at 8 pm. During the closures, signed detours will be posted.
The northbound 295 detour will direct traffic to:
- cross the 11th Street Bridge
- exit onto M Street, SE
- turn onto 9th Street, SE to access the eastbound lanes of the Southeast/Southwest Freeway
- access northbound 295 via Pennsylvania Avenue, SE.
The southbound 295 detour will direct traffic to:
- exit onto Pennsylvania Avenue, SE
- turn right onto Minnesota Avenue, SE
- travel to Good Hope Road, SE
- cross the 11th Street Bridge via the 13th Street, SE ramp. Motorists will then be directed to exit onto M Street, SE, and then turn onto 11th Street, SE to access southbound 295.
Electronic signs will be in place to provide motorists advanced notice of the scheduled detour.
In the event of inclement weather or other unforeseen conditions, this work will be rescheduled and an updated advisory will be distributed.
This closure is in addition to the previously publicized off-peak closures of the 11th Street bridges, related ramps, local streets, and I-295/DC 295.
For more information about this work or the 11th Street Bridge Project, please contact DDOT Project Manager Said Cherifi at (202) 671-4611or visit www.ddot.dc.gov/11thStreetBridge.