(Washington, DC) The DC Snow Team will deploy approximately 160 plows Sunday morning with crews on their routes by 2 am. Snow is predicted to begin falling Sunday morning between 2:00 am and 4:00 am and end by Sunday at noon. Up to two inches of snow may accumulate mainly on grassy surfaces but can cause a slushy coating on streets, sidewalks, bridges and cold spots in the District until around 11 am. Saturday’s high and low temperatures are expected to be 47F and 31F, respectively.
The Snow Team (Department of Public Works and Department of Transportation) asks residents and property owners to treat their sidewalks before going to bed Saturday night with abrasives, e.g., non-clumping kitty litter, which can make clearing the sidewalks a little easier once the storm ends.
Residents and travelers are reminded to:
- Take Metro as an alternative to driving.
- Drive cautiously and maintain safe speeds and distances from other vehicles.
- Keep a safe distance from emergency and snow vehicles and please use caution when attempting to pass a snowplow. Give the drivers plenty of room to safely do their jobs.
- Clear sidewalks of snow and ice within 24 hours of the end of a snow/ice storm.
- Be aware of hazardous road conditions, particularly black ice which can be deceptive in appearance and give the driver a false sense of security on the road.
- Keep your gas tank full.
- Clear all the snow and ice from your vehicle’s hood, roof, windows and lights before driving.
- Drive carefully on bridges, ramps and other elevated structures, which can freeze before the roadway.
- Have an emergency “go-kit” in your car. Visit hsema.dc.gov to learn how to make your go-kit.
The Snow Team does not expect the weekend snow event to result in any closings in the District of Columbia
DC government is registered with local media outlets that will announce information on government closings or delayed openings. To find up-to-date information on snow closings, delays and traffic tune it to the following:
- WTOP – 103.5 FM / 103.9 FM
- WAMU -88.5 FM
- WHUR – 96.3 FM
- WASH – 97.1 FM
- WRC – TV 4
- WTTG – Fox 5
- WJLA TV – 7/8
- WUSA – 9
Be sure to check community listservs for information as well.
Follow DDOT, DPW and HSEMA on:
DDOT Twitter: twitter.com/DDOTDC
DDOT Facebook: facebook.com/DDOTDC
DDOT Website: ddot.dc.gov
DPW Twitter: twitter.com/DCDPW
DPW Facebook: facebook.com/pages/DC-Department-of-Public-Works/99012516086
DPW Website: dpw.dc.gov
DC HSEMA: hsema.dc.gov
DC HSEMA Twitter: twitter.com/dc_hsema
DC HSMEMA Facebook: facebook.com/DCHSEMA
DC HSEMA Alert DC: textalert.ema.dc.gov
***ALERT DC – To receive updates via email and/or text message with up-to-the-minute information on severe weather, traffic, closings and more, sign up to receive messages from ALERT DC at textalert.ema.dc.gov. We work around the clock to keep you informed!!
DCPS Twitter: twitter.com/dcpublicschools
DCPS Facebook: facebook.com/dcpublicschools