Story at a Glance
The program provides financial assistance to non-for profit organizations for the purchasing of vehicles and wheelchair equipment that can help them meet the transportation needs of the elderly persons and persons with disabilities.
(Washington, DC) – The District of Columbia Department of Transportation (DDOT) invites interested non-profit organizations to apply to their 2013 Transportation for Elderly Persons and Persons with Disabilities (Section 5310 Program). The program provides financial assistance to non-for profit organizations that include local or neighborhood based nonprofit organizations and religious or charitable organizations, for the purchasing of vehicles and wheelchair equipment that can help them meet the transportation needs of the elderly persons and persons with disabilities when transportation service is unavailable to meet these needs.
The funds for the grant are apportioned by the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) of the US Department of Transportation to the District based on its share of population for these groups of people. Funds are obligated based on the annual program of projects included in a statewide grant application. DDOT ensures that local applicants and project activities are eligible and in compliance with Federal requirements.
The federal grant funds awarded under the Section 5310 program provide financial assistance for purchasing capital equipment to be used to transport the elderly and persons with disabilities. Eligible capital purchases may include: para-transit vehicles and wheelchair lifts and restraints. Prices vary depending on the type of vehicle selected by the organization. See application for more details.
The Section 5310 grant provides 80% of the cost of the vehicle/equipment purchased. The remaining 20% will be provided by the applicant organization. The 20% must be provided in cash or check by the applicant organization from non-federal sources.
Grant applications are due Friday, May 10, 2013.
DDOT will be hosting an information session for interested parties on Thursday, April 11, 2013 from 9:00 am to 10:00 am at the DDOT Offices located at 55 M Street, SE. Please RSVP to attend the information session by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
For additional information about the program please contact Circe Torruellas at (202) 671-2847 or email@example.com.