Capital Bikeshare celebrates its one-year anniversary by hosting its 1st Birthday Bash on Thursday, September 22 at The Yards Park from 6-9 p.m.
(Washington, DC) Capital Bikeshare celebrates its one-year anniversary on September 20, punctuating a tremendously successful debut. Since its launch in 2010, the bikesharing system has attracted over 17,000 members, logged nearly one million trips and amassed a total of 116 stations and 1,100 bicycles in the District and Arlington, VA, with more than 60 additional stations on the way.
To celebrate, Capital Bikeshare will host its 1st Birthday Bash on Thursday, September 22 at The Yards Park from 6-9 p.m. The party was planned to coincide with Car Free Day and Capital Bikeshare members are encouraged to take the Car Free pledge at www.carfreemetrodc.com. Admittance is FREE and the festivities will include:
- Live music from 80’s cover band The Reflex
- Food trucks, including Red Hook Lobster Pound, Doug the Food Dude, Eat Wonky, Rolling Ficelle, Carnivore BBQ and Dippin’ Dots
- Free cupcakes from Sprinkles
- Free drinks from Honest Tea
- Games and craft brews from New Belgium Brewing to celebrate their launch into the DC market
- Giveaways, including exclusive CaBi Birthday Bash t-shirts to the first 1,000 guests, water bottles from Whole Foods, Capital Bikeshare helmets and bike lights from BikeArlington
- Moonbounces, bungee run, gladiator joust and wrecking ball
- Paper boy and slow bike races
- Raffle prizes
- Hoola hooping garden with HooperNATURAL
- The Natmobile on site with signups for free giveaways from the Washington Nationals
- Photos with plenty of fun props, courtesy of Smilebooth
The Capital Bikeshare Birthday Bash is sponsored by New Belgium Brewery, Whole Foods, Google Offers, Sprinkles, Honest Tea, Smilebooth, BicycleSPACE, the Washington Nationals, The National Association of Railroad Passengers and The Yards Park.
The Yards Park is accessible by Metro, Metrobus, the DC Circulator and Capital Bikeshare. Plenty of bike racks and a Capital Bikeshare corral will be available for anyone riding by bicycle to the event. For complete information about the Capital Bikeshare Birthday Bash, including information on how to get there, visit www.godcgo.com/capital-bikeshare-birthday-bash.aspx.
Capital Bikeshare is the product of a unique public/private partnership between DDOT, Arlington County and Alta Bike Share. The two jurisdictions worked closely with Alta Bicycle Share to develop the program in the fall of 2010, offering regional service with 1,100 bikes and 116 stations. Based on the initial success of the program, both jurisdictions plan to add additional stations and bicycles to the system in the coming months. For more information about Capital Bikeshare, visit www.capitalbikeshare.com.