All tower cranes erected in the District of Columbia require an approved building permit from the DC Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (DCRA) before the tower can be erected.
The following documentation must accompany all Building Permit Application submissions:
- Three complete sets of plans to include the site plan of the affected area
- The site plan must identify the location of the crane and extremities of crane swing
- Submissions shall also include the crane pad design with specifications and structural notes
NOTE: All building permit application submissions for tower cranes are required to be signed and sealed by a registered structural engineer licensed in the District of Columbia.
Tower Cranes in Public Space
When the tower crane is located in public space, please be advised a building permit is still required from DCRA. All tower cranes located in public space shall comply with the following work flow:
- A public space permit application shall be completed and submitted to the District Department of Transportation (DDOT) requesting an approval to occupy public space
- A building permit application shall be completed and submitted to DCRA for the erection of the tower crane following the preceding instructions
- The applicant must obtain a sign off on the building permit application from DDOT stating "Ok to process" prior to the issuance of the building permit
- The applicant will provide DDOT with a copy of the issued building permit prior to the issuance of the public space permit
After-Hours Building Permits
If your project requires you to deliver and install the tower cranes beyond legal construction hours of 7 am to 7 pm on Monday through Saturday, you will need to seek an after-hours permit in addition to either or both of the above permits.
For more information on after-hours permits, please visit the DCRA Permit Center at 1100 4th Street, SW, Second Floor.
Permits, Code Compliance
Service at a Glance
Provided By: DCRA
Location: 1100 4th Street SW Washington, DC 20024
Request this Service
DCRA Building Permit Application
No Related News
No Related Photos
No Related Videos