The Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (DCRA) is now investigating complaints from District residents who suspect private trash haulers are operating beyond the times allowable by District Law.
Trash collection by private haulers is prohibited between the hours of 9 pm and 7 am in residential, special purpose, or waterfront zones, or within 300 feet of any of these zones. These rules do not apply to Department of Public Works vehicles, only private trash collection companies.
If we find the private trash hauler is operating outside the allowable hours, the company will be issued a Notice of Infraction for $1,000.00.
Note: You must submit your complaint within 7 days of the alleged violation.
Trash Collection Noise Law DC Law 17 259
If you suspect a private trash hauler is operating beyond these guidelines, please contact DCRA immediately. We are providing several options for you to reach us.
Download Fillable Noise Complaint Form
**Note: If you have a photo of vehicle please download the above form and use any of the options below.
Mail Form or Come in to DCRA
You can download the complaint form and mail or hand deliver to the DCRA Service Center, 1100 4th Street, SW, 4th Floor Washington, DC 20024.
Fax Form to DCRA
You can download fillable complaint form and fax to DCRA Investigations at (202) 442-9448.
You can also email your complaint to DCRA within 7 days of the alleged violation at email@example.com. You can download and save the form above and email it or follow the information below. Please include as much information as possible in your email, including:
- Complainant's name
- Complainant's phone number
- Location of suspected noise violation including any indentifying information such as street numbers, cross streets, alleys, etc.
- Date of suspected violation
- Time of suspected noise violation including exact time or exact range of time
- Color of trash vehicle including description of any striping or graphics
- Any indentifying writing or trash company name
- License plate state and number (if possible)
- Where did you view the vehicle from?
- Approximately how far away were you from the vehicle?
- How many times has this suspected violation occurred in the past month?
- Has the suspected violation always include the same vehicle? If not, explain.
- Attach photos (if possible)
NOTE on EMAIL: If you choose to email your complaint, we will still need a signed copy of the form before enforcement action will be accepted by the court. If possible, please scan in the signed form and email as attachment to ensure quick action.