The DC Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (DCRA) is committed to doing everything within its power to assist you with issues and concerns in your neighborhood. However, some issues cannot be solved by DCRA. Many of these cases require assistance beyond our jurisdiction.
The DC Superior Court's Multi-Door Dispute Resolution Division (Multi-Door) helps parties settle disputes through mediation and other types of appropriate dispute resolution (ADR), including arbitration, case evaluation and conciliation. The name "Multi-Door" comes from the multi-door courthouse concept, which envisions one courthouse with multiple dispute resolution doors or programs. Cases are referred through the appropriate door for resolution.
The goals of a multi-door approach are to provide citizens with easy access to justice, reduce delay, and provide links to related services, making more options available through which disputes can be resolved. The Multi-Door Dispute Resolution Division of the DC Superior Court assists parties to reach agreements that meet their interests, preserve relationships, and save time and money. Our mediators and dispute resolution specialists are trained at Multi-Door to serve in a wide range of cases, from civil to small claims, to family.
The Community Information and Referral Center at Multi-Door has trained Dispute Resolution Specialists to assist residents of the District of Columbia to find the best way to resolve their disputes.
They Can Help:
- If you have a consumer complaint: merchant, home improvement, auto repairs
- If you have a landlord-tenant dispute: security deposit, repairs
- If you have a complaint involving a neighbor: dogs, loud noises, trees and property
- If you have a family dispute: custody, visitation, child support, divorce, spousal support, property
- If you need information or a referral to legal, governmental or social services
What They Do:
- Conduct an intake interview with you by phone or in person
- Help you determine how you wish to resolve your dispute, including:
- conciliation of appropriate disputes over the telephone
- mediation between you and the other party with a mediator
information about other Multi-Door programs, such as family mediation
- referral to agencies or services in the community that can address your specific need
How To Reach Multi-Door
The Multi-Door Dispute Resolution Division is located at 515 5th Street, N.W., Suite 114, Washington, DC 20001 (Please use the Police Memorial Entrance at Judiciary Square Metro Station).
If you would prefer to telephone before coming to the courthouse, please call (202) 879-1549 during business hours and ask to speak with a Dispute Resolution Specialist.