Story at a Glance
All BCIB meetings are held at 10 am at 1100 4th St SW, Washington, DC, 20024, in Room 4302 on the second and fourth Wednesday of each month.
For more information, please contact the BCIB at (202) 442-4332.
The Board for the Condemnation of Insanitary Buildings (BCIB) is charged, under DC Official Code Section 6-901, et seq. (2001 Edition), with:
- Examining the sanitary condition of all buildings in the District
- Receiving referrals from other agencies, citizens and inspectors
- Inspecting insanitary building conditions and reporting them to BCIB meetings
Determining which buildings are so insanitary that they endanger the health or lives of occupants or people in the vicinity
- Serving owners with Notices to Show Cause, within 10 days, why their buildings should not be condemned
Holding hearings, if owners ask for them
- Issuing Orders of Condemnation to owners to correct insanitary conditions, within 30 days, by changing, repairing, making habitable, razing, or removing buildings
- Making buildings safe and sanitary or razed and removed—if owners fail to fix conditions—and assessing corrective action costs as special taxes on the property